Family Solicitors in Chester
family solicitors in Chester

Protection from Domestic Abuse

When it comes to violence and domestic abuse, our family solicitors are specialists in dealing with these cases.

We will act confidentially and quickly to find a resolution to your domestic abuse situation. It may be that a call to the police does the trick but that may not be right in your case. We would need to evaluate if a letter to your ex-partner is the way forward or if an urgent application for an injunction is required.

For immediate advice contact us to speak to one of our specialist family solicitors.

What is an injunction?

An injunction is a court order instructing someone (your abuser) not to do something. If they then continue with that behaviour they may be arrested for breaking the order.

An injunction will usually state that your abuser cannot contact you, harm you or harass you. This is also known as a Non-molestation Order.

In some circumstances the injunction may include not allowing the person in question to come within a certain distance of you and not to contact you by telephone, text or email.

Can my partner be removed from the house?

A type of court order exists which can state who can live in a property. This is known as an Occupation Order. This order can therefore be used, in some cases, to remove someone from your home. If your partner refuses to leave voluntarily then this can be done forcibly by the Police.

An Occupation Order can be made in conjunction with a Non-molestation Order. In these circumstances the court will look at what is known as ‘the balance of harm’ test.

The balance of harm test requires the court to weigh up any potential harm which could be caused if the occupation order is not made. If the risk of harm to the applicant or anyone else involved, such as children, is increased by the partner staying in the home then the court has a duty to grant the order.

What behaviour is classed as ‘domestic abuse?’

Domestic abuse can take many forms, including:

If you would like to discuss an issue with one of our family law solicitors, please contact us and one of our specialist team will be happy to advise you.

Contact Form

investors in people
recommended solicitors Chester
award winning solicitors Chester
Lexcel accreddited solicitors in Chester
resolution accredited solicitors in Chester
SAS Daniels LinkedinSAS Daniels Google plusSAS Daniels Twitter